Alternately titled: Poppop
Rachel called Wednesday night to tell me that our Grandpa Smith was not doing very well at all and that the family is on alert that he is probably in his last days.
Friday evening my dad called to tell me the same news... catch that FRIDAY... as Rach put it: "Family phone tree FAIL" I can say this here cause it's very unlikely that most people will see it... My dad can be so difficult to understand, I that's a mild way of putting it!
So as we are making dinner Friday night Dad calls again. I knew when I saw the caller ID that Grandpa had passed. It still took him telling me that Grandpa had just died to actually believe it. I immediately went out to where Steve was grilling the steaks and he knew immediately. Steve preceded to call Nancy, his mom and my mom (who didn't answer) and my brother. We also told our girls and used some Bible verses, Psalm 23 being one of them. Psalm 23 is what I am learning for Beth Moore's memory verses... and I didn't even tell Steve about it before that.
Grandpa didn't want a funeral. So Monday my aunt, uncle, Kim Jonathan, and my dad... and I think my Grandma all went with his body to the mausoleum and then to lunch. Rach is hoping for a summer meet-up to reminise about him and Grandma Smith (I am all for that!).
RIP Edward K Smith Jr 1/4/1921-1/28/2011
No comments:
Post a Comment